CTEC Applied Science
Head of Department
CTEC - Equivalent to 1 A Level
5 in English Language 5 in Maths 5 in Science 5 GCSEs 9-4
Why study this course
Suited to students who may not have achieved the entry requirements for A level sciences, but still want to study science post 16. This course offers an opportunity to students to study a course not only assessed with exams, but also coursework units.
Two exam units
- Science fundamentals (Unit1)
- Laboratory Techniques (Unit 2)
Three coursework units
- Control of Hazards in the Laboratory (Unit 6)
- Microbiology (Unit 18)
- Product testing techniques (Unit 21)
These units cover:
- knowledge and understanding of biological, chemical and physical principles underlying laboratory science;
- transferrable skills necessary to perform laboratory techniques in the workplace;
- ability to analyse collected data to solve problems within a laboratory setting;
- ability to take a project-based approach to research, analysis and development, linking scientific principles and laboratory techniques;
- ability to learn in work-related contexts;
- skills for independent learning and development.
There will be an opportunity for students to visit the Royal Institute L’Oreal young scientist centre, where students will learn and carry out PCR/Gel electrophoresis analysis.
Potential University Routes:
- The number of universities who made an offer to candidates who had a Cambridge Technical as part of their application has increased to 86% and 17% were accepted to Russell Group universities.
- BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science
- BSc (Hons) Biology and Environmental Science
- BSc (Hons) Food with Nutrition
- BSc (Hons) Biological Science
- BSc (Hons) Agricultural and Crop Science